Your midwife or obstetrician might refer you for a dating scan early in your pregnancy for a few reasons. Dating scans are often performed between 7 and 12 weeks of pregnancy. There are a few good reasons for having a dating scan:
- You may see your baby's heartbeat, and this can be very reassuring to see
- The scan can determine if the pregnancy is in your uterus, or in your fallopian tubes
- You can see that the placenta is starting to form
- You can tell if you are carrying twins
- Also, a scan early in your pregnancy can more accurately date your pregnancy than using your period date alone.
Research has shown that when midwives and obstetricians use a due date that has been assessed from an early scan, women are much less likely to need to be induced for going beyond 41 or 42 weeks.