Your midwife or obstetrician might suggest a dating scan early in your pregnancy. Dating scans are often performed between 7 and 12 weeks of pregnancy. There are a few reasons for having a dating scan:
- It is always very reassuring to see your baby's heart beating, and it is possible to see the heart beat from 7 weeks, and sometimes as early as 6 weeks.
- The scan can determine that the pregnancy is in your uterus and not in your fallopian tubes (ectopic pregnancy)
- You can see that the placenta is starting to form
- You can tell if you are carrying twins
- Also, a scan early in your pregnancy can more accurately date your pregnancy than using your period date alone.
Research has shown that when midwives and obstetricians use a due date that has been assessed from an early scan, women are much less likely to need to be induced for going beyond 41 or 42 weeks.
Visit my website to learn more about my services.